Carnival Miracle, 10/14/13, First Day At Sea

Carnival Miracle, First Day At Sea

Checking last week I could see a storm headed towards Baja.  And yesterday afternoon the Captain told us we would be deviating from our normal course a little, to avoid said storm.  Yesterday, just before noon, apparently the storm was given a name.  Octave has gathered strength, and decided to be right along the coast.  So, in a series of announcements we were told they are re-arranging the itinerary.  Today will be another day at sea, we will hit Puerto Vallarta on schedule Wednesday, leave
a couple hours earlier than planned, and go to Cabo Thursday instead of today.  As I had no particular plans ashore, it's all good.  Some of my fellow cruisers are in a bit of a tizzy about excursions, but I am sure they'll get it figured out.  And Cabo will be shortened a couple hours, so we can make it back to Long Beach more or less on time Saturday. 

I am giving the Captain very high marks for making 3 announcements as changes were made, and for having a letter delivered to every stateroom, detailing all the changes.  Personally, I wouldn't mind running thru the storm, cuz I like that sort of thing.   The Captain also said we would probably run thru the southwest quadrant during the late night hours, so to be careful out on open decks and whatnot.  So, we'll get some rocking and rolling during the night.  Fifteen foot seas aren't THAT big a deal.  Though coupled with 40-50 knot winds, it might put a damper on some people's party.  And heading west around the storm allowed us to stay in warm, sunny weather all day, so that's a plus. And, of course, while Cabo isn't getting hit by the full force of the storm, it's going to be raining, windy and kinda ugly there today.  By Thursday it should be lovely.

Got up about 7.  Slept like a baby.  Nice thing about the detour is the captain is putting on the speed.  So there is lots of vibration and movement.  Did a little writing and missed the first trivia of the day.  Went to the Comedy brunch.  Sat with a couple of nice couples.  No comedians in evidence.  But the breakfast was passable.  What they called Huevos Rancheros, but appeared to be a chicken quesadilla with fried eggs and pico de gallo on top.  Pretty sure George Lopez didn't approve the menu.  We're kinda from the same neighborhood, and that ain't Huevos Rancheros.  But, like I said, pretty tasty. 

Finished up with brunch in time for the digital scavenger hunt.  My team sucked.  What can I say.  And then on to the Progressive Trivia.  This is a week long competition.  No team mates for me.  I'm gonna win it all by myself.Went up to the buffet for a late lunch.  It was pretty sucky too, until I find out Asian section.  The food there was flavorful and fresh.  Had some fish in a black bean sauce and a beef stir fry. 

Chilled by the pool for a while and then hooked up with my girls from the piano bar for a general trivia.  We probably would have won, except for the blatantly illegal team of 12 people across the way...so, still no ship on a stick.  But next up was a 70's music trivia.  Ditched the teammates and did
that one on my own.  Kicked ASS.  Finally got the coveted ship!  Not just because I won, but I have to say this was the funnest trivia contest yet.  A rather large and diverse crowd singing along and dancing and gettin' their groove on.  And not all just "pop" songs.  We had some Al Green and Barry White, some WAR.HUH.WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR.  Bowie and Jackson 5.  The Carpenters and Elvis.  Pretty much all over the lot.  And Christopher the Canuckian Cruise Staffer had a lot of fun with the crowd.

I was just gonna chill for a while but I ran into my little Asian TA friend, and she talked me into getting dressed early and going to the Captains party thing.  So, I did.  Got all spiffed for dinner, 3 hours early (it was Elegant Night or whatever), came back down to the atrium to find her and her husband there.  In shorts.  And flip flops.  They got hung up on karaoke or something and decided to meet the captain, and THEN dress for dinner.  Thanks for that.   So I dropped a couple more
dollars in the casino, just to confirm it wasn't happening for me, and gave up to go watch the sunset on my balcony and drink coffee til dinner time.

Got down to dinner just in time to miss the line.  I had a stuffed white mushroom appetizer, greek salad and the wonderful roasted pumpkin soup ahead of the lobster and shrimp entree.  Shortly after we ordered Ed and Anastasia, a couple of friends from the piano bar the previous night came strolling by and decided to join us for dinner.  Not clear what happened to their regular table, but we had a good time exchanging stories in a bit quieter atmosphere.

After dinner 3 of us headed to the piano bar for another night with Derek.  When we got there the place was packed, but over the next two hours the crowd dwindled down to just 4 patrons, the piano man and Anett the bartender.  So it was more talking than singing.  We finally got into the rough seas at the edge of Octave, and I think that might have had something to do with folks bailing out early.  It was pretty rocky rolly there for a bit.  Even woke me up once about 3am.  But as I wake this morning it's calmed considerably, so it should be a nice day.

Let me find out, and get back to you!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing. Your post is awaiting moderation.