10.11.2014

Multi Modal UPDATE

So, I've decided to add one.  I had originally planned to check my luggage at the train station in D.C., rather than lug it all around the town.  But it seems there is only one place to do so, and they are OUTRAGEOUS.  It would cost me around $48 just to leave my one bag there for the day.

On the other hand, just outside the door of Union Station is Bike and Roll, a bicycle rental that will rent me a bike for $32 AND STORE MY LUGGAGE!

So, instead of walking, I'll be doing a bike tour of our nations capitol.  The bikes come with a lock, so I'll be able to get off and go in the Smithsonian and whatnot.  Kind of excited about it, actually, because the Lincoln Memorial and back is about the walking range from Union Station.

On a bike, I can probably get around the Tidal Basin to the Jefferson Memorial, and then continue on to the Anacostia River, which has a nice bike trail all the way up to Anacostia Park.

One of the downsides of long distance train travel is the cooped up feeling.  Even though you can get up and walk around the train, and it's vastly superior to being on an airplane, after 22 hours or so, getting out and putting in 10 or 15 miles on a bike will be nice.

Now I'm just crossing my fingers there's not a blizzard or worse in Chicago, so I can get out and walk around while I'm there.

But, now the transportation goes:  car, commuter train, bus, airplane, Uber, train, bike, train, train, car,


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing. Your post is awaiting moderation.